Alex Borstein Dedicates Emmy Award to Her Grandmother, a Survivor of the Holocaust

"My grandmother was in line to be shot into a pit. She said, 'What happens if I step out of line?' He said, 'I don't have the heart to shoot you, but somebody will.' And she stepped out of line. For that, I am here, and my children are here. So step out of line, ladies, step out of line."—Alex Borstein, Emmy Winner, June 11, 2024


 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

In her Emmy Award acceptance speech, Jewish actress and director Alex Borstein dedicated her Emmy award to her grandmother, a Holocaust survivor. “She was in line to be shot into a pit and turned to a [Nazi] guard… and asked, ‘What happens if I step out of line?’ He said, ‘I don't have the heart to shoot you, but somebody will.’ She stepped out of line and for that, I am here, and my children are here.”

Sometimes, despite what we were told when we were children, disobedience or stepping and coloring out of line, is the brave and just choice.

On this Shavuot holiday, while we learn and celebrate Torah, remember that women are still denied the right to read Torah at the Kotel. Women of the Wall have been stepping out of line since 1989, demanding equal rights for women at the Kotel.

With your help and support, we know that this last goal that we have left (reading torah at the holy site) is within reach.